Quote

Quote

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

There's A Bun In the Oven


I'm feeling much better tonight. Less anxious, less worried. I will get the results back on my lab work tomorrow. Thanks for your prayers! I really feel it's nothing to worry about, after all this has happened with all of my pregnancies. Either way, it will be fine! I know my family including this newest member is in God's hand. Since I am feeling better, I thought I would take the time to share the very cute story of how I told Wesley the news!

Wesley told me long before we had our first child that he thought it was cool for the wife to surprise her husband with baby news. He thought there wasn't any fun in watching a stick!! :-) So, I've done my best to tell him in cute, creative ways. I'm starting to run out of ideas, so this time I went with an old classic thinking it would be an easy give-away. But, to my surprise and his, he didn't instantly get it!!!

I took a home pregnancy test late Friday night/early Saturday morning after he had fallen asleep. I had planned to wait a few more days to take a test, but that night I had a lot on my mind and just couldn't resist. The test was of course positive. At that point, I knew I wouldn't be sleeping much! My mind was racing!!! Among other things, I started trying to think of a cute way to tell him. The only thing I could come up with was a play on the old cliche, "there's a bun in the oven." So when I finally did go to bed, I put a hot dog bun (the only kind of bun I had) in the oven and turned the oven light on knowing that the light would draw some attention in the morning.

Early the next morning, Wesley and Luke went into the kitchen, and Luke spotted the light and the bun all most immediately! He said, "Daddy, why is there a bun in the oven?" I run in to see Wesley's reaction, but find Wesley standing there looking dumbfounded. "Hum," he says, "I don't know why there's a bun in the oven." Looking at me, he says, "do you know why?" I just smiled and kind of shrugged. Then without another thought, he opened the oven, took out the bun, threw it in the trash, turned off the oven light, and WALKED AWAY!!!!! I could absolutely not believe that he actually said the words, "there's a bun in the oven" and didn't get it! How could he not get it!!!! AND, how could he just walk away without getting to the bottom of it. I think he seriously thought I might really be losing my mind this time and decided to just play it cool. I was left just standing there thinking, "now what." After giving it some thought, I decided I would just repeat the process until he finally figured it out. I share this hilarious story with a couple of girlfriends and the joke became, "how many buns in the oven will it take for Wesley to figure out there's a bun in the oven"! (BTW, he's told me before that he doesn't care if I tell him first just as long as I surprise him!)

The next morning finally came, and once again I put a bun in the oven and turned on the light. In an almost "Groundhog Day" (the movie) kind of moment, Wesley and Luke went back into the kitchen. This time Luke said in a very excited voice, "Daddy, there's another bun in the oven! Daddy, why is there another bun in the oven?!" I got close enough to hear well, but didn't rush in thinking that I would give him a second and he would figure it out. Much more perplexed than before, Wesley says, "I don't know, go ask your Mother why there's a bun in the oven." Luke comes running to me and asked me, "why there's a bun in the oven." Making sure that Wesley could hear me, I said in a playful voice, "Luke, go tell Daddy, that I didn't put the bun in the oven. He did." Thinking Wesley would for sure figure it out now, I went into the kitchen. But NOPE!!!! He still has NO CLUE!!! At this point, neither of us were really paying attention to Luke anymore, but Luke is just laughing hysterically even though he has no idea what is so funny. So Wesley says, "Yeah, yeah, you did (put the bun in the oven)! You did! Really what are you doing? What's going on? I heard you in the kitchen this morning. Really what's going on?" At that point, I think Wesley was starting to be sincerely concerned for my mental health. So I said, "well, let's think about this. Hummmmm." Then slowly, "there's a bun in the oven." Ding, ding, ding!!! The light bulb moment!!! Wesley's mouth literally feel open, and his eyes got as big as two moons. His response, "NOOOOO WAAAAY!!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!! NO WAY!!!" Still not having any idea what's really going on, Luke starts rolling in the floor, laughing, and as if it were planned, he is chanting, "there's a bun in the oven, there's a bun in the oven!" Wesley starts pacing the floor, and his head looks as though it is going to spin off. Then he actually said, "I don't think I can handle this," but even as he said that he was smiling as if everything was right in the whole wide world!!! AND in that moment, everything was right at least in our own little "Minor" world!!! I LOVE my husband! No matter what happens, I will forever be grateful for the those precious moments on the morning on Sunday, January 10, 2010.

5 comments:

  1. That is soooo cute! Poor Brian, I can never keep a suprise. I've told him immediately every time. You're good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT!! I can't believe you keept the secret for a whole day and a half!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ROFL! Thank you so much for sharing that story. I wish I had thought of that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting from Kellys Korner. That story was HILARIOUS! Men sometimes ... geez!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I am visiting from Kelly's Korner. I LOVE this story. I can't believe that it took him so long to get it. A great story to tell the baby later.

    ReplyDelete