Quote

Quote

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Saturdays

Well, it's Saturday. Poor Saturday. I put a lot of expectation and pressure on that one day of week. I look so forward to it each week and make such big plans for it. I expect it to be a day to rest, and also a day to accomplish everything on my many and massive things to do list. Whether we accomplish a lot or a little, I'm almost never satisfied with Saturday. I either regret that we did too much or regret that we did too little. There's almost no way the day can live up to all my expectations for it. So, I guess I owe Saturday an apology. Here goes:

Dear Saturday,

I just want you to know that I love you. I'm sorry for expecting so much from you. I promise to try to just relax and enjoy you while you are here. I promise to appreciate you. I will try to let you go at your owe pace and not rush you or try to hold you back either. Thanks for coming back to me every week even though I subject your to such difficult conditions.

OK with that behind me, I feel much better. Just in case you are interested and because one day I might be interested in remembering, this is what we've done with our recent Saturdays.

This Saturday Wesley is working. This time of year he has to work a lot of weekends. Right now I'm choosing to appreciate the fact that he has a secure job in a time when so many others do not. Even if that means some Saturdays. I am also choosing to be thankful for the fact that typically he has a very flexible work schedule.

Last Saturday, Wesley went to the men's conference at our church. I decided to give him some man time after that was over and me and the kiddos took off on a day trip to visit family. We planned to drive to my Mom's, spend the day, and come back that evening. We've do this on a semi-regular basis. The trip is almost 3 hours one way, but if we leave early it's not too bad. This time however, when we got there, we didn't want to come home. So even though we had not packed an overnight bag, we ended up spending the night. The kids were begging to spend the night at Grandmother's, and I was feeling pretty tired. So it was not a tough decision. It was so much fun!! Mom fussed over us as usual, and we enjoyed it, as usual! Mom grilled out. I was able to eat way better than I have been lately, probably because I had no hand in preparing the meal! You may recall that the weather was INCREDIBLE!! We played outside the entire day. All "the aunts" came. It was a great Saturday. No regrets!! The only thing missing was Wesley. But, he enjoyed some well deserved time at home alone!!

The weekend before last, Wesley also worked. And the one before that, I visited my Daddy in the hospital. Next weekend Wesley will be working again. Did I mention that he works a lot of Saturday's this time of year? And that I'm grateful? :)

So that kind of sums up our Saturday's right now. It'll be a while yet, but I'm really looking forward to a Saturday when we are all at home and can tackle some of those projects on our list. No, wait. I'm really, really looking forward to a Saturday when our "minor" family of six + little baby bun + Buddy, the dog, just stay home all day, being lazy, playing in the yard, soaking up beautiful sun and warm temperatures, maybe firing up our own grill, AHHHHHHHHHH!!! Doesn't that sound lovely!?! Oh, no! I'm doing it again! I'm forgetting my promises to Saturday. I guess I better go now and appreciate the remainder of this Saturday!!!

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha ha!!!! I LOVE the "dear Saturday" letter. Love it. I owe Saturday a similar letter. I expect so much more from it than any other day of the week! Poor thing. :) here's to giving Saturday a break. . . :)

    ReplyDelete