Quote

Quote

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Impressive, Cool Rash

**Edited to add: The two doctors that saw Luke today thought that this is most likely an allergic reaction to penicillin. They can't say for sure. They said it definitely presents more like a reaction that anything else. In addition to impressive and cool, one of them also called it an angry rash. Hahahaha. That's funny.

Just for reference, this is what a reaction to penicillin looks like.


Here's a little background info. A few days after I got strep throat, Luke also got it. I think we both got it from the same source. I was sitting at Luke's baseball practice listening to another mom talk about how sick their family had been with strep throat when it occurred to me that I wasn't feeling so great. That was our second practice of the week. I kind of think that we may have picked it up from someone in their family earlier in that same week. By the next day I was really, really sick. A couple days later Luke was also sick. No one else got it...Thank you, Lord!!!!


I was soooooo careful not to spread it. I even wore a hospital face mask to try to contain it. Wesley and I did a good job of keeping the kids away from me when I was sick, and I wash and used hand sanitizer constantly. Strep can take 5 days to show up so I suspect that it's possible that he got it from his baseball friend. Not that any of that matters at all. I've just been so troubled at how often we've been sick lately, but we are doing new things, meeting new people, out more, and well there's just more of us to pick up the crud.


Anyway, yesterday was day 8 on a ten day RX of amoxicillin. The doc today said a reaction usually shows up sooner, but that it does take this long sometimes. Yesterday, Luke looked fine all day. At dinner time last night he still looked fine. Then we told him to go and get his bath and he came back saying, "awwwww I'm itching all over!!!!"


We use to be a very, very healthy family. In fact when Luke began the antibiotic for strep, it was only his 2nd antibiotic in his life. He had his first this past December. Personally I find it "cool and impressive" that this is only his 2nd antibiotic in his life!


Grace has a penicillin allergy and I remembered her reaction and thought that was what was going on with him. It was too late to go to our pediatrician, and we did not want to go to the ER. So we watched him for a couple of hours to make sure he was OK, and then decided to wait until morning to take him to the pediatrician. He was fine except for itching. Grace's reaction was nearly 6 years ago, but I'm pretty sure that hers showed up late too.


So off we went this morning. The doc agreed that it is most likely an allergic reaction to penicillin, but it did require a couple of docs consulting with each other to reach that conclusion. As we were leaving, Dr. D shook Luke's hand and said, "Thank for sharing your very impressive rash with us. That's cool man!" Hahahahaha Luke beamed with pride.


Unfortunately for Luke others that we've encountered today have also found it impressive. I watched several mom's in the waiting room direct their children far from him. Hahahaha. It will probably take a few days for the rash to clear up. I suspect that will be the reaction as we are out for the rest of the week. Luke was originally embarrassed by it, but now he thinks it's cool too! He's looking forward to showing it off to his friends at ball and church.

Our lives are soooooo full of adventure, but it beats it being boring!!

2 comments:

  1. Poor guy!! I had a reaction to an antibiotic given for a spider bite a couple of years ago and it looked alot like this.(mine was a sulfa drug or something?) Everyone stared at me like it was leprosy or something too though! lol Seriously what I had to go through with the reaction was way worse than the original spider bite issue. Go figure. We have crazy, strange happenings in our lives too so it just seems like ya'll are normal. haha Hope Luke's cool rash clears up soon...after he gets to impress everyone with it of course. ;)

    ReplyDelete