Quote

Quote

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Starting School

First, how do you like the new blog design? (Thanks, Katy for the help!)

Tomorrow we start back to school full time. We've done a few days over the summer, but not many and not every subject everyday. I've just finished up a few details and need to get in bed soon, but thought I would jump on her real quick. I really mean that tonight. :)

Luke starts 2nd grade. Grace starts 1st grade. Mary Ruth is doing some pre-K work. And Bella Peace has a few special activities too. She calls them her "cool work".

I'm excited to start back. It brings a sense of structure to our days. But, summer isn't over, and we there's still plenty of spontaneous fun to be had!

As cliche as this sounds, all of life really is a classroom. I've been getting "schooled" lately myself. Guess we all are, all the time.

One cool thing I learned today is this:

"The just shall live by faith" appears 4 times in scripture.

I love this simple reminder of how we should live. By faith. So good!!

This verse was a special one to us as we began school last year:

"So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom." Psalm 90:12

There are several that stand out to me in regards to school this year. Here's a few:

"Apply thine heart unto instruction, and thine ears to the words of knowledge." Proverbs 23:12

and this passage:

Proverbs 2:1-11

1My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee;

2So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding;

3Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;

4If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;

5Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.

6For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.

7He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous: he is a buckler to them that walk uprightly.

8He keepeth the paths of judgment, and preserveth the way of his saints.

9Then shalt thou understand righteousness, and judgment, and equity; yea, every good path.

10When wisdom entereth into thine heart, and knowledge is pleasant unto thy soul;

11Discretion shall preserve thee, understanding shall keep thee

Since Luke started kindergarten we've memorized an entire Psalm each year (along with other verses). This year, we may just have to consider that passage about for our memory selection.

Well, it's time for bed. I know many of you are also starting school tomorrow. I will be saying a bedtime prayer for us all!

(BTW, scroll on down. I've got several new post up.)

1 comment:

  1. Happy First Day of School! Can't believe the kids are so big! Hope you have a great school year!

    ReplyDelete