Quote

Quote

Monday, August 8, 2011

Burn Update

WARNING!!! I have included pictures. I know some do not like seeing this sort of thing you.



First let me say that Bella Peace's burn looked better than I expected today when the doctor unwrapped it. We had not seen it since we wrapped it very shortly after the burn occurred yesterday. I don't know what I was expecting, but it looked better somehow.



The doctor said that it should heal up fine on it's own. There was no more mention of therapy at all. Because of the specific location of the burn, it should just heal fine on it's on. If it had to happen, at least it wasn't her fingertips or palm. I'm told that those areas are way worst because they are way more sensitive. Anyway, we will keep it covered, keep it clean, change out the bandages twice a day, and cake on some silver sulfadiazine creme until the skin begins to heal a bit. Right now the burned area is covered by a huge water blister which is actually a good thing, because there is less risk of infection since the skin is not open. At some point the blister will burst and we will need to remove the dead skin and be even more careful to prevent infection.



Bella Peace is still being a total trooper! She's not been complaining about it at all. She's so very tough!!



As far as Wesley, he really, really is totally fine! Tonight he handled the bandage change with no problems!



I took the pictures below when we took off her bandages tonight. There is still a little creme left on it from her bandage change at the doctors office. The creme plus the lighting plus the fact that it's hard to see dimension in pictures makes it a little difficult to really see the full effect, but you kind of get the idea.











Nasty, huh?!!



Notice the blue from markers you see on her other fingers and her dirty little finger nails. This little girl is not missing a thing...bandage or not, she just keeps going!



I meant to ask the doctor what degree of burn this was just because I'm curious like that, but I forgot and he did not say. Just in case I'm not the only curious one, Wesley believes it's most likely 2nd degree burn.



Thanks for all the concern and sweet words!

4 comments:

  1. Rule of thumb if it blisters like that it's 2nd degree

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Bella Peace! I'm so glad that she is doing okay, and will be getting better! Nothing worse than when one of our littles are hurt or sick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so pitiful! Just breaks my heart. I will be praying for a quick recovery. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer, Thank you for the very sweet comment on my blog! Your cup does runneth over!!! You have a beautiful family....WOW! And congrats on the new baby -to-come!

    I read your post about Bella's recent burn and your hubby passing out! Bless your heart....I bet your heart rate/blood pressure was sky high after all that...mine would have been! I hope she is healing well. Did you read Kelly's blog about her burn yesterday? Lots of good comments were sent to her on medicines to use to keep from scaring. You might look at some of those if Bella's hand looks like it might scar. Praying for her!! And you!!

    Blessings to you and your sweet family!

    ReplyDelete