Quote

Quote

Monday, March 14, 2011

Clumsy Me

So I have a cracked rib. Yep! That explains why it's been giving me so much grief since I fell on Wednesday and injured it!!

Here's the story...last Wednesday while it was wet and rainy I was standing on the running boards that go around our Suburban and stretching into the middle seat to buckle up Elizabeth. My foot slipped and down I went...on my ribs. It totally knocked the wind out of me, and I thought I was going to pass out from the pain. I started looking around in the parking lot for someone to help me in case I actually did pass out. Then I just kind of sat there for a while and tried to compose myself. After I got myself together, I called Wesley and he said just give it a little time and see how it felt after a few minutes. So I've been giving it time, hoping every day it would feel better. But it hasn't really been feeling better.

Wesley set me up with one of his orthopedic doctors today who confirmed what I had become to suspect. After I saw the doctor, he called Wesley (they are friends and enjoy talking about these kinds of things) and said he was a little surprised because most patients who come in suspecting a broken rib don't actually have one. But, lucky me! I defy the odds. Once again! It sure would be nice to deny the odds in something really positive sometimes!! :)

Wesley has been extremely supportive and helpful since we had a little talk several days ago when I explained that no part of this situation was at all funny. He was laughing at me for the first day or so. In fact, I was sometimes laughing too. But the laughing got old. And it hurt. And it just wasn't funny anymore!! You see, Wesley and I met when I was still a teenager. I will admit that at that time in my life I would cry over a stumped toe. I would over exaggerate my pain and limp around like I was dying. He tends to remember that little girl from way back then and not take me so seriously sometimes when I say that something hurts. At times it aggravates me when he's not taking me very seriously, but at times at laugh because he's laughing. Also Wesley thinks that Grace is my clone and she can be a little dramatic at times so I think that when he sees me being dramatic he thinks about Grace. Now that girl, totally cracks us up when her drama sometimes!! Anyway last Wednesday when I first hurt myself, I would almost cry and hold my ribs at the slightest thing. He could not help himself and would start to laugh and even though I felt like hitting him I would laugh too, because he's just so stinkin' cute when he laughs. I also think that he's very use to seeing injuries and so he's a little numb to it. I have asked him if he treats all his patients this way and he assures me that it's only the "one" that he's flirting with that he laughs at and teases. I kept going back and forth on whether or not I thought it was broke, because I was still able to function pretty well. But other times, the pain was so intense I felt sure it was broke. Ultimately I did not think I was going to go to the doctor, because there's not much to do for a broken rib. BUT, this weekend it got to feeling worse and I felt like I could feel the bone slipping around. Turns out that I could feel the bone slipping around a little! Crazy, huh!?! Well like I said at some point it just wasn't funny anymore and we had a little talk about the fact that I am a big girl now. I've given birth 8 times. I have far too much to do than to cry over a stumped too. I mean, I am actually really tough now. I prove that all day everyday when I stay at home with 5 children and homeschool them!! So now, he's not laughing anymore. Well at least not to my face anyway! Y'all let me know if he's laughing behind my back, OK!

No comments:

Post a Comment